Name: Heather Massengill
Degrees & Graduation Year: Pharm D (2000)/MBA (1999)
Current Job Title: Director, External Engagement
Practice Site: GlaxoSmithKline
What do you do in your current position?
I sit in a strategic project management type role where I:
- Help develop strategies within the medical organization and across a matrix to support business strategy
- Lead key medical components of local and global initiatives
- Serve as a central point of contact to identify barriers, improve and align business processes and drive change management initiatives
How did the College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences prepare you for your current position?
- By offering the dual program I got both medical and business training
- Campbell also encouraged residencies. Ultimately my residency at GSK led to securing a full time position.
How did your connections and experiences from CPHS guide you to your current position?
- I think just being a graduate of Campbell guides you
- People hear that name and there’s automatic credibility
What titles did you/do you hold on the CPHS Alumni Association Board?
- Reunion Chair 2015-2016
- Events Chair 2011-2013
- President 2008-2009
- President-Elect 2007
- Class of 2000 Representative 2006
How has serving or having served on the CPHS Alumni Association Board of Directors impacted you as a person?
- I love being able to give back to a place I love
- My favorite part is reconnecting with the students through alumni events….praying some small piece of advice I gave will have a broader impact
How has serving/having served on the board influenced your career?
- Honestly, it keeps you grounded about where you came from
- You remember being in school and maybe not having a clue what you wanted to do
- I could never dream that I’d be doing what I do now and loving it
What advice would you give to anyone who is curious about getting involved in the Alumni Association or the Board?
- Just do it!!
- It’s so much fun to reengage with your alma mater
- The time commitment is very manageable
- You get out what you put in!!