What is your role at Campbell?
Assistant Professor in Doctoral Program of Physical Therapy. Teach Cardiopulmonary P.T. and related topics.
What are your research interests?
Best Practice Clinical Care for Cardiopulmonary Patients, Outcome Measures for the Cardiopulmonary Population, Community Education for Cardiopulmonary Patients
What have you gained from working at Campbell?
With the assistance and encouragement of my academic PT colleagues, I’ve gained a wealth of information about teaching in an academic setting.
What are the accomplishments, passions, experiences that you bring to the Campbell family?
For more than 30 years, I had previously worked full-time clinically with Cardiopulmonary patients in acute care and out-patient settings of a major medical center (Duke University Medical Center). Instead of my patients coming to me for treatment, I wanted to have the opportunity to meet my patients in their environment, preferably in a rural setting. Campbell has provided that venue for me through my work with the Farmworker’s clinic and the Better Breathers Club (BBC). Harnett County did not have a support and educational group for cardiac or pulmonary patients. The chance to start this program, along with the help of several PT students who also wanted to serve the community; the BBC has brought me into direct contact with the citizens of this County who are living with chronic heart and lung diseases. Being that I am passionate about serving this population, I am appreciative to Campbell for providing the support and resources to start such a program.
What is your educational experience?
- B.S. in Physical Therapy: Georgia State University (Atlanta, GA)
- M.S. in Exercise Physiology and Adult Education: The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- DPT in Physical Therapy: The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- CCS: Board Certified Cardiopulmonary Specialist. American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- MAACVPR: Master Fellow in Cardiopulmonary Practice. American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention (AACVPR)
- CCI: APTA Certified Clinical Instructor
- ETT: Exercise Test Technologist, American College of Sports Medicine
- Better Breathers Club Facilitator: American Lung Association